Wednesday, January 18, 2012

WSJ Wednesdays


There was an excellent article in yesterday's edition of The Wall Street Journal concerning getting a second opinion. Found on the first page of the Personal Journal section, journalist Laura Landro's article, "What if the Doctor Is Wrong?" provides readers with an unbiased look into how certain conditions can be misdiagnosed, along with real-life examples.

While the first disease that comes to mind might be cancer, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, certain forms of dementia, and coronary artery disease can also be misdiagnosed.

You can read the entire article here.

I've honestly never had reason to second guess my doctor, but considering my family history of cancer, I know I'll do whatever it takes to make sure I get the right treatment if it becomes necessary. Have you ever sought a second opinion on a medical issue? Was the second diagnosis different from the original one? What did you end up doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment