Thursday, January 26, 2012

Taking Time for Mom Thursdays


We're back for another Taking Time for Mom Thursday. I just put the finishing touches on a guest post for The Steady Hand Blog that will appear tomorrow. I'm one of those moms who enjoys her time in the kitchen and I love trying new recipes. My mother-in-law is kind enough to share her Greek recipes, but like me, she seasons to taste, so when asked for one of her recipes it usually looks like "a dash of this, a sprinkle of that."

Cooking and baking for your family can be relaxing if you enjoy it. Even if you don't like spending time in the kitchen, when you have a new recipe to try it at least makes cooking fun. Here is my mother-in-law's recipe for pork chops. If you try it, I would love to hear what you think.

Ingredients

4 - 6 bone-in pork chops
Olive oil
Butter
Salt
Pepper
Oregano
1 Clove of garlic, minced
Lemon juice

Step 1: Saute chops in large pan on the stove in olive oil and butter. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, oregano and garlic while browning.

Step 2: Sprinkle with lemon juice and cover tightly. Allow to cook on low until done. See recommended temperatures from the USDA here.

Like I said, "a dash of this, a sprinkle of that." When I make this, I use 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and a tablespoon of butter to saute the chops. I use very little salt because pork is salty anyway. I probably add a 1/2 teaspoon of oregano. I am liberal with the lemon juice and my husband usually adds more once they are cooked because much of it burns off. It's important to keep the chops covered tightly so they retain moisture.

I serve this with rice and green beans. I make rice at the beginning of the week in  my steamer and then just reheat what I need during the week. I use the microwave to steam the green beans, then add a touch of butter and salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment