Thursday, January 5, 2012

Taking Time for Mom Thursdays



Here's the next new feature I'm starting for 2012. For busy moms, it seems like there are never enough hours in the day. If you're not at the office, taking care of the family, volunteering, or running errands, you're asleep. If you're lucky, you get five hours of rest before dragging yourself from your bed and starting the mad rush all over again. When is there time for you?

I got sick right before Thanksgiving and I couldn't shake it. I'm not talking an annoying sniffle. I spent almost two weeks in bed, and until two days before Christmas I didn't feel like my normal self. Not only had I allowed myself to get run down, I created a schedule that didn't allow for any "me" time.

I've decided that can't happen again. After numerous doctor visits, two rounds of antibiotics, steroids, and forced bed rest, I know I need to make a change. That's why I'm starting this column. Yes, I hope other busy moms can use these posts to inspire them to create their own "me" time, but I also need this to serve as a reminder to myself that I need to slow down and take a break at least once a week.

No matter how crazy my day has been, I start my getting ready for bed routine by turning on the hot water and filling the tub. Since I have sensitive skin it's usually just me and the water, but every once in a while I'll added sea salts or bubble bath. Scents like lavender and chamomile are very relaxing. When the Lil Diva was a baby, I would use Johnson's Baby Bedtime Bath, Lavender & Chamomile to soothe her. She always had a hard time settling down for bed, but this bath wash along with lotioning her up afterwards made a huge difference.

I usually read in the tub. Most times I find myself falling asleep mid-chapter. That's okay, a paperback can recover even if it looks a bit worse for wear after. I don't think it would be good to drop my Kindle in. I also find bath time to be the perfect time to give myself a manicure or pedicure since my cuticles are soft.

Do you taking relaxing baths before bed or is it a shower in the morning? Do you use bubble bath, scented oils or sea salts? What is your favorite scent?

No comments:

Post a Comment