Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Do You Have a Reluctant Recycler?


One of the obstacles to becoming more self-sufficient is the reluctant recycler living here. I won't say who it is, but it's tough to lead by example when not everyone is on board. I'm not the recycling police. I don't hit family members with a baton when they toss a cat food can lid in the trash, but I've made it simple to recycle in this house. Our recycle bins are right outside the garage door, and even if you don't want to travel that far, I have one spot in the kitchen for people to stack up paper/cardboard and another place for cans/bottles/plastic, etc.

Every week when I empty the trash cans, there's a certain someone who has tossed all types of junk mail and catalogs into the can instead of throwing them in the bin or stacking them in the kitchen. So, I spend time digging through the trash and putting things where they belong. On the up side, it's got me to thinking about unnecessary packing materials on products and that has influenced me to change some of my shopping habits.

How do you handle a reluctant recycler? Can you give me any tips that might work here?

No comments:

Post a Comment