Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Ergonomically Speaking



Ergonomics is the scientific study of the relationship between workers and the workplace.  By adapting the work to fit the person, ergonomics increases productivity, efficiency and quality, while reducing work-related disorders. 

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has come up with a series of guidelines for computer workstations. These guidelines will help you create a workstation that is best suited for your needs. When I worked in Corporate America, our company offered free ergonomic audits. I was pregnant at the time and already suffering from lower back pain, so I decided to request one. 

Some of the changes made were: lowering my desk surface, installing a keyboard tray that flipped out when I needed to type and pushed in when I was using the writing surface; changing the location and position of my computer moniter, and providing a foot rest.  

Whether you work in an office or at home, ergonomics can make a difference in how you approach your work. To view OSHA's guidelines for computer workstations, visit them online.

No comments:

Post a Comment