Thursday, January 12, 2012

Taking Time for Mommy Thursdays


Right now it's hard to think about gardening. Last night the sleet came down in heavy sheets and around 4:30 AM it turned to snow. Now that the temperature has risen we have a couple of inches of slush that is being turned slushier by the pouring rain. Hopefully the trees and their branches stay where they belong, because that blustery wind is blowing things everywhere.

Gardening, while hard work, is also very relaxing. Now, before you get to thinking that I have a way with flowers, let me tell you I have the brownest thumb of anyone I know. And while I am a creative person, I need a garden plan to make my yard look decent.

In 2010 I won this great book from The Complete Idiot Series titled, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Year-Round Gardening. It's also available in Kindle format now, but this is one of those books I like to have in paperback. It opens with a discussion on how you can fool Mother Nature and grow flowers year-round. I'm not sure I'm up to that task, but Part 2 of this book caught my eye. It talks about starting with healthy soil. The soil around here is awful. The one year I put in a vegetable garden, I couldn't grow root crops because of all the rocks. Even after I tilled the land and removed many of them, the soil remained too rocky--and therefore too wet--to grow root crops properly. Without proper aeration I have spots that stay mossy most of the year.

I've been composting for years, but I wonder if I am doing it right because I can't say that I have added much to my soil. There's a section that gives me the basics on that too. The book is full of information about growing from seed, feeding and fertilizing, maintaining outdoor covered gardens, gardening indoors under lights, growing with greenhouses--would love to try this, and even the basics of what to do after the harvest and storing crops in a root cellar (I grew up with one of those).

I haven't read all of it yet, but I think I'm going to do my best to get through it by March. I want to put in a vegetable garden this year using raised beds. I have a perfect spot for them. The Lil Diva wants her own plot too, so raised beds seem to be the way to go. I also have big plans to change the bushes in the front of the house for something that will make Christmas decorating a bit nicer and easier.

Do you have a flower garden or a vegetable garden? What is your favorite flower? Do you have any gardening tips to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment