Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Tunes Tuesdays


I realized as I was wandering through my mind for someone to feature this week, I miss the music of Robert Palmer. In a career spanning 25 years, he had an eclectic style. Even though I had hear some of his earlier hits--Every Kinda People, Bad Case of Loving You (Doctor, Doctor)--it wasn't until the mid- to late 80's I was really into him. Actually, I had a crush on him. What can I say, I was a teenager.

I liked the music of the group Power Station, where he teamed up with Andy and John Taylor of Duran Duran. Hits like Some Like It Hot and Get It On (Bang a Gong) definitely got you up and dancing. But I liked Palmer best when he was singing solo. Addicted to Love and Simply Irresistible are songs I still enjoy.

Compared to today's music and videos, Palmer's songs are tame. You can view the video for Simply Irresistible at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrGw_cOgwa8 One thing I noticed about him back then when I was watching him on MTV, and now, is how he's dressed. How many musicians wear a suit and tie these days? I think even Huey Lewis and the News gave that up. Oh my, I'm seriously dating myself.

What's your favorite Robert Palmer song?

No comments:

Post a Comment