Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Historical Fiction Feature: Resurrection Garden by Frank Scully

1904 was a time of remarkable change. The train and telegraph were making communication and travel so much quicker and easier. Goods could be shipped over long distance cheaply. Newspapers even in small towns brought information from around the world and provided a sense of community. Letters could cross the country in a week instead of months. The telephone was a new invention and being used in cities. Electricity, cars and streetcars were transforming cities.

And yet, on the frontier prairie where farmers came to homestead and stake their claim to the American Dream, life was still harsh and often raw. Jake Turner had seen much of the settling of the west. He’d been to the big city and seen electric lights and indoor plumbing. He charged up San Juan Hill and been an Arizona Ranger and a railroad detective. He was a wanderer with a reputation he would like to bury, and a Deputy Sheriff in North Dakota where he stumbles over the body of a murdered man.

The reasons behind the murder are buried deep in the past, and the people involved have secrets to keep. Secrets they are willing to kill again to protect. Jake’s best friend, Isaac, is entangled in those secrets somehow. Jake is falling in love with Isaac’s sister Alice. An orphaned boy, Andy, has become attached to Jake. All are at risk if Jake makes a mistake.
Jake believes in Justice, but before he had only his own life on the line. When Andy is kidnapped and almost killed, Jake knows the killers will do anything to stop him. In order to protect Alice and Andy, he must break their hearts and leave them and North Dakota behind.

Jake knows he’ll be back. So do the killers. Trap and counter trap are laid. Jake knows there will be graves. He just doesn’t know who will be in them.

Read an excerpt!

We walked down to the meadow below the house. Shadows were spreading as the sun dropped behind the trees to the west. Evening sounds from the surrounding forest were like a symphony of life. And love.


She reached out to take my hand as we strolled along quietly, content to be together. And alone. She led. We walked toward a small clearing under a large oak tree out of sight of the house.

Suddenly, she stopped and turned to me. She reached up with her free hand, put her hand behind my neck, and pulled me into a kiss unlike any I’ve ever had before. I was lost in the universe, feeling an emotion so intense I could not contain it. When our lips parted, I held her in my arms tightly.

“Jake,” she whispered. “Come with me.” She took my hand again and led me on.

I took a step and blood sprayed out of my leg just before it buckled, and I was knocked to the ground. Another shot whizzed by my head. Alice still stood and stared at me in wonder and surprise. I jumped up as best as I could, knocked her down, and lay between her and the shooter. But it was quiet. I had no weapon with me.

“Quick,” I ordered her. “Crawl to the bush and get back to the house. Have Bart bring me my rifle.”

She nodded and left immediately. I straightened out my leg. I felt the bone. It wasn’t broken. A clean through shot in the meat of the thigh below the crotch. Bleeding but not pumping. I took my belt and tied it around my leg over the holes and rolled into the dense shadows of the brush.

Bart hissed at me a few moments later and handed me my rifle. He had his along too.

“How many?” he asked.

“Just one. Same persistent bastard who’s trying to kill me I imagine. Long gone by now.”

“Wait here,” he said. “I’ll check around.”

A few minutes later, he was back and helped me hobble to the house where Ruth and Alice waited anxiously. Ruth told Alice to get hot water and me to drop my pants.

We both did as we were told. Ruth inspected the wound and began cleaning it out with very hot water and alcohol. It stung like blazes, but the bleeding was almost stopped by the time she had it bound and bandaged.

“Was any further up, and you wouldn’t be any good to this young lady,” Ruth teased. “Bart, bring us all a glass of the whiskey you hide in the barn. We all need some.”

My head buzzed from the large glass of whiskey by the time Ruth and Bart left us alone on the porch. I still insisted I would sleep in the barn for the night.

Alice sat beside me on the bench and laid her head on my shoulder. I was about to say something, but she put her finger to my lips.

“Shhh,” she said softly, her eyes swimming in tears as more streaked down her cheeks. “Don’t explain. Don’t apologize. I’m just happy you’re alive. Just be here with me for a few minutes, and let my heart feel yours.”

We sat that way for a long time. I forgot about my leg. It was my heart that concerned me.

I should be happy and making plans and commitments. Instead I felt a great fear. There was much pain coming.

PURCHASE RESURRECTION GARDEN AT MUSEITUPPUBLISHING.COM, AMAZON, OR BARNESANDNOBLE.COM!

Read the reviews! 

"As most good mysteries do, this one begins with a dead body. The big difference is this tale is set in 1904 and starts in North Central North Dakota, making it an historical western mystery. Before I tell much more, I have to say I loved everything about this story. Deputy Jake Turner is a reluctant hero, a single man who knows something is missing in his life despite his faithful horse, dog and cat."

--Marilyn's Musings Review - READ FULL REVIEW

"I found myself enthralled with this tale. The mystery was well developed and had a very satisfying resolution...Mr. Scully's writing style was spare and perfectly suited the tale and time in which it was set. The characters were well developed and I enjoyed getting to know them."

--Broken Teepee Reviews...READ FULL REVIEW


Frank Scully was born at the end of World War II and grew up in a small town in North Dakota. He remembers a time when radio provided the entertainment and then along came TV with very few channels. While in college getting a Bachelor’s degree in History and a Juris Doctor in Law, TV graduated to color and the first Star Trek series, the Beetles landed on the Ed Sullivan Show, Kennedy was assassinated, and Armstrong walked on the moon. He served in the U.S. Army as a Judge Advocate General Corps officer in the U.S., Vietnam and Thailand before getting his MBA and embarking on a business career. Currently he is a Contracts Manager for a major aerospace and defense manufacturer.


Frank has always been a voracious reader with a preference for mysteries and suspense novels. After many years of saying he would get around to writing a book someday, his wife decided that it was time for him to put up or shut up. Since that day, he has diligently worked at his writing until finally the first book, Resurrection Garden, has been published and others are under contract and due out shortly.

Visit Frank online at http://frankjscully.com/. Follow Frank on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment