Friday, April 15, 2011

Historical Fiction Feature: Caves, Cannons, and Crinolines by Beverly Stowe McClure


Caves, Cannons, and Crinolines is the story of Elizabeth (Lizzie) Stamford and her family’s daily struggle to survive a changing way of life during the American Civil War. This is a story of fear, courage, and understanding that people, no matter where they live, have the same needs: love, peace and security.



Read an excerpt!

Chapter 1

Vicksburg, Mississippi

Thursday, May 21, 1863

Dearest Brother Willie,

We went to the cave for the first time today–Mama, Nat, and I. And I hate it! I prefer to risk injury from the hissing, screaming shells in my house than to scurry underground like a scared rabbit. Papa is at the hospital, attending the sick and wounded. We see him so seldom these days. Sometimes I wish he were not a doctor. Then he could stay home with us, where he belongs.

I hate what this war has done to our family. You and Joseph are far away, in Virginia. I miss you all terribly. Mama worries about you. She worries about Papa. She scarcely lets me out of her sight. Most of my friends have left Vicksburg for safer places. The ones remaining are living in caves or basements.I’m supposed to watch Nat. Mama fears he will run away to find you. I know he shan’t do such a thing. Every time a shell falls, he hides. The war confuses gentle Nat. He does not comprehend why men kill each other. Neither do I.

We heard the Yankees have taken Jackson. Our army fell back to the Big Black River and then retreated to Vicksburg. Their return was a sad sight. Wagons, cannon, and ambulances clattered down the streets. Ragged and weary soldiers, some with arms in slings, some leaning on crutches, others carrying the wounded, stumbled alongside them. We gave the men what food and water we could spare, which was very little. Many blamed General Pemberton for our defeat. Others said the fault was not his. Jefferson Davis must have confidence in him, or he would not have put John Pemberton in charge of defending Vicksburg, would he? I have met General Pemberton and think he has courage.

Vicksburg has been under siege now since the eighteenth of May. Gunboats on the Mississippi bombard us from the west. Parrott shells rain down from the hills to the east. We are caught in the middle. Nowhere is safe, not even the caves, like Mama says. You’d think General Grant would know better. He has tried to conquer our city before, without success. No matter. Our soldiers will send those Yankees scuttling, their tails tucked between their legs like scared dogs.

Mama and some of the women made bandages for the wounded last night. Oh! I must tell you what happened this morning. I was asleep in my bed when a shell burst through the roof and tore a hole in the wall above me. The house rocked like a baby’s cradle, until I thought it would fall down around my ears. Nat and Mama rushed in to see if I was injured. Nat, being Nat, dug the shell out to add to his collection. He has quite a few. Why he wants them heaven only knows.

When Mama saw my damaged room, she panicked and skedaddled us to the cave. We’ve been here ever since, and it’s near evening. I had no time to get my guitar or my books. My piano surely will be ruined. These Yankees! Have they no manners? Would they wish us to destroy their homes! I think not.

Nat tugs on my arm. He has something to show me, so I’ll close. Tell Joseph I shall write him later. If I were a boy, I’d fight the Yankees with you. Does a girl love her home and family any less than her brothers do? Does she not have pride, honor? It angers me that girls are not allowed to defend what is theirs.
Mama would faint away if she heard me talking this way. I’m supposed to be a lady she reminds me every day.

“Why?” I ask her.

“Because you are,” she says. A truly puzzling answer.

My love and prayers go with you.

Always,

Lizzie

Read the reviews!
 

“McClure balances the emotions of the Confederate and Yankee characters with such in-depth feeling the reader will find themselves switching sides throughout the perilous journey of Lizzie Stamford and her family, and their quest to reclaim Vicksburg.”


Donna M. McDine, author of The Golden Pathway

“Caves, Cannons and Crinolines, is thought provoking young adult historical novel. Set in the days of the Civil War where families are torn apart, readers are given a very real picture of life in 1863. Ms. McClure has clearly done her research and skillfully brings her characters to life.”

Penny Lockwood Ehrenkranz, author of Ghost for Rent

“Having studied the American Civil War for many years now, I can say without a doubt that McClure did her research and used it well. I felt I was right in the middle of Vicksburg alongside Lizzie. In an age where we teach our children so much about tolerance and acceptance of others, this book could be helpful in relaying that message. Students studying the Civil War would also get a great deal out of reading Caves, Cannons, and Crinolines, as it would open up room for discussion on a variety of topics surrounding this period of American history."

Cheryl Malandrinos, author of Little Shepherd

PURCHASE CAVES, CANNONS, AND CRINOLINES FROM THE FOLLOWING ONLINE RETAILERS: 

Amazon: http://amzn.to/9ZdW2U

Barnes and Noble: http://bit.ly/9OC92b

Books-A-Million: http://www.booksamillion.com/product/9781606191125?id=4551439607124

Twilight Times Books: http://www.twilightthimesbooks.com/

It’s also available on Kindle and Nook Book. Your favorite brick and mortar store can usually order it for you.


When Beverly was in eighth grade her teacher sent her poem “Stars” to the National High School Poerty Association, and she was soon a published writer in Young America Sings, an anthology of Texas high school poetry. Forty years later, she sent an article on fire safety in the home to Happiness magazine, and it was published. In between she went to high school, played clarinet in the band, was a majorette, and graduated. Then she got married, had three sons (one an angel in heaven), and attended Midwestern State University. She graduated cum laude with a teaching certificate and had a fourth son. She taught children in elementary school for twenty-two years. Writing was the last thing on her mind.

Before she knew it, her sons were grown and married. She and hubby have five granddaughters (one also an angel in heaven), two grandsons, two great-grandsons, and one great-granddaughter. She married very young.

She lives in the country with her husband, cat, and wild critters that decide to visit. And she writes most every day.

You can visit Beverly online at:

http://beverlystowemcclure.wordpress.com/


http://beverlystowemcclure.blogspot.com/

FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/beverlysmcclure

Twitter: http://twitter.com/beverlymcclure

No comments:

Post a Comment