Saturday, April 9, 2011

April 2011 A to Z Blogging Challenge

What is the A to Z Challenge? It’s blogging a letter of the alphabet every day the month of April (with Sundays off for good behavior.) It began April 1st, with the letter A and ends April 30th, with the letter Z. You can click here to see who else is participating in this challenge.

Today's post is for the letter:



When it comes to sports, I'm pretty much a one man kind of gal. While I enjoy baseball, there is only one sport I love--HOCKEY!

Not to say that other sports don't require a lot of skill, but in hockey, you have big men who have first needed to master the art of gliding, racing, and stopping quickly on two slivers of metal that can slice you up. Ask Clint Malarchuk who was a goalie for the Buffalo Sabres in 1989 when a player's skate cut open his jugular vein. Amazingly, he survived thanks to the quick thinking of the team's trainer.

While mastering the art of ice skating, you also have to master the ins and outs of a fast-paced game where tensions run high and the occasional fist fight is not unusual.

My favorite player has always been Cam Neely of the Boston Bruins. A tough player who could also bring it to the net, he's a hockey legend. The guys who decided to toss it up with Neely usually came out looking the worse for wear.


Neely's playing career came to an unexpected end when he suffered a knee injury during Game 3 of the 1991 Prince of Wales Conference. The same knee would be injured in Game 6. Neely developed a rare condition that prevented him from playing a full season ever again. In a tearful media announcement, Neely retired in 1996. Neely currently serves as the President of the Boston Bruins. It's interesting to watch him viewing the game. You can tell he still loves it.

My son played hockey for 13 years. There are days I miss sitting around the rink watching the game. I haven't seen a Bruins game live in years. The cost of tickets is astronomical. I don't know if I'll see the B's win the Stanley Cup anytime soon, but I know I have to keep watching.

What's your favorite sport? Do you like to see it live or is on TV okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment