Saturday, April 23, 2011

April 2011 A to Z Blogging Challenge

What is the A to Z Challenge? It’s blogging a letter of the alphabet every day the month of April (with Sundays off for good behavior.) It began April 1st, with the letter A and ends April 30th, with the letter Z. You can click here to see who else is participating in this challenge.


Today's post is for the letter:



Tea has been  my favorite drink since I was a kid. We weren't allowed a lot of soda, but I could have as much tea as I wanted. Since those early days, I've switched from caffeinated to decaffeinated tea. Luckily, many restaurants now carry it too. Years ago I would have to ask for a cup of hot water and carry decaffeinated tea bags in my purse.

I'm not much into herbal teas, but I enjoy English Breakfast for a change from Salada. I recently won a bunch of teas (loose leaves in a tin) and a new mug. I think it's time I invest in a tea ball and try something new. Maybe I'll discover there are some flavors I like.

Certain types of teas have healing properties. Native Americans used teas for healing purposes too. Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman is one of my favorite TV shows. It tells the story of Dr. Michaela Quinn, who lives and practices medicine alongside her father in his Boston practice. After his death, she finds that his patients are no longer willing to be treated by a woman doctor. Dr. Quinn answers an ad for a doctor in Colorado Springs, CO. Believing she is male (Michael A. Quinn), the town offers her the position. Imagine their surprise when she arrives and is very much a woman.

Dr. Quinn arrives in Colorado Springs during a time of high tensions between the white and the Native Americans. In addition to having to prove herself capable to the entire town, the delay in receiving medical supplies means she must introduce Native American medicine into her practice. Though she is hesitant at first, she soon comes around--as do the townsfolk in Colorado Springs. This is how I first heard of Willow Bark Tea. Dr. Quinn used this brew to reduce pain and fevers.

While I haven't personally explored the healing properties of anything other than Ginger Tea, I'm curious about them and would like to give begin adding natural medicine into our home.

Are you a coffee or tea drinker? Have you ever used herbs or teas for healing purposes?

No comments:

Post a Comment