Thursday, April 14, 2011

April 2011 A to Z Blogging Challenge

What is the A to Z Challenge? It’s blogging a letter of the alphabet every day the month of April (with Sundays off for good behavior.) It began April 1st, with the letter A and ends April 30th, with the letter Z. You can click here to see who else is participating in this challenge.


Today's post is for the letter:



L is for lollipop. Why is that? Because I love them. Dum-Dum Pops are my favorite. I have always wondered why they were called Dum-Dums. I mean, if you think about it, we tell our kids not to call people dumb all the time. Why name a candy after something kids aren't supposed to say?

According to the Dum-Dum Pops website, they "were originated by Akron Candy Co., Bellevue, Ohio, in 1924. I.C. Bahr, the early sales manager of the company, named the ball-shaped candy on a stick and figured dum-dum was a word any child could say."

See, there were great marketing ideas even back then.

Did you know you can buy these in bulk off their website? I didn't until today, and it's very tempting to buy a 30 pound box and keep a secret stash for myself hidden in my office.

Telly Savalas starred in the popular crime drama series, Kojak, during the 1970's.  He was a bald, tough New York City PD detective who was known for his famous line, "Who loves ya baby?" The other thing Kojak was known for was his love of lollipops.


I rarely missed an episode of Kojak when it was on. Who knew I would grow up to marry a Greek guy. Believe me, they are proud of their famous fellow Greek who had an extensive career. He was also the spokesperson for Players Club International Card in the 1980's.

One last word about lollipops. My oldest sister is named Laura. We often called her Lolly because it was easier to say. Eventually Lolly became Lollipop. I don't think she would enjoy being called that now, but it was pretty funny back then.

Do you have a favorite lollipop? What are some classic TV show catch phrases you remember?

No comments:

Post a Comment