Wednesday, April 6, 2011

April 2011 A to Z Blogging Challenge

What is the A to Z Challenge? It’s blogging a letter of the alphabet every day the month of April (with Sundays off for good behavior.) It began April 1st, with the letter A and ends April 30th, with the letter Z. You can click here to see who else is participating in this challenge.

Today's post is for the letter:




Considering my history as a junk food junky, one would think Easter would be my favorite holiday.  I almost find Easter more challenging to cope with than Christmas as a parent, because it's hard to get the Easter Bunny to deliver a desk, new curtains for the bedroom, or clothes in that tiny basket.



In case I've never mentioned it before, we live in a subdivision with 23 other homes. Great when it comes time to making playdates, but horrible around Easter and Halloween because the sheer volume of candy each child receives is so much that they can't possibly consume it all in one year's time. If I wander downstairs into the playroom, there are two baskets--one for the Lil Diva and the other for the Lil Princess--that are filled to the brim with the remainder of last year's Easter candy and a good portion of their Halloween cache. We just don't allow them to ingest that much junk food.

Though, I have to admit to loving Easter and its signs of spring, we can have some crazy weather. In 1982, we had snow on Holy Thursday. In 1996, we had snow three days after Easter. As you can tell from the picture above taken in 2008, it can be cold in New England, especially if Easter comes early; but usually we are wearing our spring coats and enjoying a beautiful day.



When I was a kid, we lived in a house that had lovely front and side gardens. My grandfather, who had built the house, had planted an azalea bush in the front yard. I remember several Easters when the warm weather brought the blooms out early. I also loved watching the tulips come up each year. I've tried to grow tulips here, but the deer always eat them.

What are some of your Easter memories? What is the weather like during that time of year where you are?

No comments:

Post a Comment