Monday, April 2, 2012

You've Got Mail Mondays


There might be a law that says you can't post You've Got Mail Monday so close to the start of Tuesday, but alas, I couldn't help it today.

Last week was catalog week. I guess all those vendors want me to spend some money. Oriental Trading's Fun & Faith catalog arrived early on. I usually order craft type items from them for church and home. We also use this catalog as inspiration to create some of our own crafts for Vacation Bible School.

An L.L. Bean catalog also came in. I loved the cover on this one. It was set outdoors (as is typical). A fisherman carrying a string of trout (?) made it back to camp carrying two fishing poles and a sleeping child. He has a smile on his face. The angry wife in her flannel shirt and jeans is standing there with raised eyebrows and hands firmly planted on her hips. Based upon the stars we can assume he's late bringing supper home. L.L. Bean is celebrating its centennial with a sweepstakes. In addition, if you place an order for $50 or more, you get a FREE $10 gift card.

Land's End loved me so much they sent two catalogs: one women's, one men's. I love the look of their new Parker Knotted Espadrille, but I would be hard pressed to spend $60 on them.  These Chino Shorts are nice, and I really liked their Slim Stretch Crop Pants. Inside was a coupon for $10 off a purchase of $50 or more. It's good through April 15th, so I might take advantage of that.

One Hanes Place also sent me a catalog.  They are a good place to buy undergarments and hosiery. In addition to those items, I've bought a limited amount of clothing from them, but I find their sizes run a bit big on me.

The most exciting catalog came from Proven Winners. Not sure how I ended up receiving this one, but I love the gardening ideas inside. This issue talked about discovering your style and offered ideas--with beautiful color pictures--for each type of style. Gardener P. Allen Smith shares his recommendations for annuals, perennials and shrubs. This issue also talked about one of favorite shade loving plants--the hosta--and how to create a successful container garden.

The one book that arrived last week was Blue Eyes by Jerome Charyn. It's an older paperback edition. Charyn is touring with it in May with Tribute Books.

My last interesting piece of mail came from Somers Academy: The Grammar School. The Head of School is Cynthia Flynn. She used to be owner and director at my girls' preschool. I was sad to see it close, but it certainly looks like Cindy has done well. I'm so excited for her. I can't think of a more dedicated educator of young minds. I've been considering Somers Academy for the Lil Princess (8) since I discovered Cindy is there. Cost is a factor. The drive is also a challenge. It's half an hour away. Not a big deal, but the bus doesn't come here until 8 AM right now, so I'm not sure I could swing it.

That's it from here. Hope you have a blessed week.

No comments:

Post a Comment