Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Blogging from A to Z Challenge - O


Maybe I shouldn't admit this, but I love onions. I eat them every chance I get. Guess it's a good thing I work from home and don't go out a lot.

Onions are members of the Allium family, which means they are rich in sulfur-containing compounds. That's where they get their strong odor from, but that's also where many of the health benefits come from.
I learned something new about onions today. According to The World's Healiest Foods, "When onions are simmered to make soup, their quercetin does not get degraded. It simply gets transferred into the water part of the soup. By using a low-heat method for preparing onion soup, you can preserve the health benefits of onion that are associated with this key flavonoid." I thought water would reduce the health benefit of any vegetable.

The onion has been found to help protect the heart and blood vessels (if you have a diet rich in other fruits and vegetables) and can help increase bone density. It also can reduce the risk of certain cancers.

This post is part of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge. Click here for a list of participants.

No comments:

Post a Comment