Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Blogging from A to Z Challenge - I


I was going to open this post with my excuse for liking what is known as the least nutritious kind of lettuce (pretty much it's my favorite and I prefer it) but instead, I can now eat my iceberg lettuce in peace.  According to Raw Food Health, this is a myth. The article states that by most measures of nutrition, iceberg lags behind romaine and other leafy greens, especially when measured by weight. If measured by calories, however, it's not that bad. In addition, it leads in water and sodium. Hmmm....

You can read the entire article here if you're interested.

Here's a simple recipe I found at GymTrainer that sounds good

Iceberg Lettuce with Sunflower Seeds

•1 iceberg lettuce
•1 handful of raw sunflower seeds
•1 / 2 cucumber
•5-6 olives
•5-6 capers
•2 tablespoons olive oil
•2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
•salt to taste

Preparation:
Clean and cut the wholesale iceberg in a large bowl. Add olives, capers, cleaned and chopped cucumber. Bake in a dry pan over high heat for 2-3 minutes and place the seeds in a salad.
Garnish with herbs and stir.

This post is part of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge. You can find a full list of participants here.

No comments:

Post a Comment