Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Blogging from A to Z Challenge - J



Here's something I had never heard of before--juniper berries. Now, I had heard of the plant Juniperus Recurva, but I don't think I've ever seen one before, and I didn't know it had berries, never mind that they were edible.

According to The Spice House, the berries are popular around game season because they are used to flavor wild game. Not being one who eats a lot of wild game, I had no idea. They were used by American Indians when they cooked buffalo. In Europe they are used to flavor wild boar (that does not sound appetizing), venison and pork, and in stuffing for fowl. The juniper berry is said to have a tart flavor.

Have you ever used them? Did you like them?

This post is part of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge. You can find a list of participants here.


No comments:

Post a Comment