Thursday, February 9, 2012

Taking Time for Mom Thursdays


Taking Time for Mom Thursday is here. Thanks goodness because I need the stress relief reminder. I've had an overwhelming schedule this week and next week will be busier. Ugh.

I'm really not much into exercise. I know I should be, especially at my age, but man, if I have to cram one more thing into my schedule right now I think I'll lose it. Each year about this time, I say to myself, I will make a plan once the weather gets warmer to walk three mornings a week. It never happens. I manage for the first week, but after that the hermit in me takes over and I sit at my computer and work all day.

I was just whining about my schedule to one of my writing friends, but I honestly have no one else to blame but me. I started two new blogs. I'm posting five days a week at two of them. I have virtual book tours to work on. I run two critique groups and I volunteer at church.I'm trying to squeeze in a bit of writing too--when I'm not playing mommy and wife, that is. What was I thinking? No really needs to be more a part of my vocabulary.

But, back to exercise. The benefits are numerous. It:

  • Controls your weight,
  • Combats health conditions and diseases,
  • Gives you more energy,
  • Helps you sleep, and
  • Improves your mood.*
Exercise, like any other life-changing activity, requires time to adjust. If I decided on January 1st to begin a regular exercise routine (at least 15 minutes, 5 days a week), I know I am going to fail. Why? Because I'm not currently doing anything in the way of exercise. Committing to that big of a change is crazy. So, here's what I'll do. I will agree that on March 1st, I will walk twice a week for a minimum of 20 minutes. This will allow me to choose days where the weather is nicer and also will get me more exercise than I am getting now. If it works out, then I can increase the length of my walks or the number of days I walk. Once I am comfortable with this, I should be able to add other forms of exercise to my schedule.

How about you? Do you have an exercise routine? Did you make a New Year's resolution in 2012 to exercise more? If you did, how has that been going?


* This list taken from an article by the Mayo Clinic staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment