Wednesday, February 1, 2012

WSJ Wednesdays



WSJ Wednesdays is back for another look at an interesting article from my favorite paper. I appreciate technology, but I don't love it. I have to admit, however, the pictures with this article caught my eye.

In the Wednesday, January 11, 2012 edition of The Wall Street Journal, journalist Heidi Mitchell discussed how advances in technology mean those who want to keep up with the Joneses are renovating more frequently. Now, I'm also not too concerned with keeping up with anyone, but even a technology dummy such as myself can appreciate the items featured in her article titled, "Cutting Edge Today, Passe Tomorrow."

How about a swimming pool whose temperature and fountain is controlled by a touchpad inside the house? Better yet, doesn't a tasting room with automated temperature and humidity controls to store your wine collection sound nice? Maybe you can hide your recessed TV with folding panels. How about a room that has a wall filled with various size TVs?

I thought my husband was crazy when he had a new thermostat put in that allows us to control the temperature in our home over the Internet. He was quick to point out that while we are vacationing in North Carolina, he could start the air conditioning in our Massachusetts home with a few clicks. This nifty gadget would  also allow us to keep the heat from kicking on when we're not home if we forget to the adjust it before we leave.

One of the things I wish we had installed when we built the house is radiant floor heating. Walking across those tiles first thing is the morning is a icy cold wake up call.

Have you installed any home technology gadgets? What is one home technology product you wish you owned?

No comments:

Post a Comment