Wednesday, May 9, 2012

WSJ Wednesdays - The Secret Online Life of Our Tweens



New technology is a wonderful thing, but as Katherine Rosman's article titled, Tweens' Secret Lives Online, from the Wednesday, May 2, 2012 edition of The Wall Street Journal points out, it's brought with it some parenting challenges.

I don't want to get into to many details of the actual article this time around, but Rosman brings up the influx of new online and mobile products for kids, in addition to the fact that kids who own mobile devices seem to get younger and younger.

It's great that many companies go to great lengths to ensure the safety of the users of its products, but it seems to get harder and harder to monitor what our kids view and sign up for online. Both my girls have multiple accounts on MovieStarPlanet. I actually had to forbid them to create any new accounts, because I just can't keep track of them all.

In addition to allowing my children to be creative by putting together videos, MovieStarPlant gives them a chance to interact with their friends and learn at the same time. The games and quizzes enhance your child's learning while letting them earn StarCoins and Fame. I actually opened my own account, but I don't get a chance to play very often. I did it because my girls wanted me to, and who am I to deny my kids some play time with mom. I prefer we have playtime off the computer--which is what we have more days than not--but it's fun to them to chat with me while I sit in  my office and they are in their bedrooms.

Rosman's article mentioned a few apps and sites I hadn't heard of before: KidzVuz, Playground, Versagram and Everloop. I knew when Santa brought each girl an iPod Touch our lives were bound to change. Some nasty text messages got sent back and forth between friends. The device has had to be taken away a couple of times for viewing videos on YouTube I would rather they not see. Overall, the girls have been responsible with their devices, but it's definitely made me even more concerned about what they have access to.

What sites do your kids frequent? Are there any you would recommend? How about sites to avoid?

No comments:

Post a Comment