Thursday, May 3, 2012

Why a Fan Base is So Important on DWTS

Photo from ABC.go.com


I'm not a reality show fan, but when I heard Melissa (Halfpint) Gilbert was going to be on the 14th season of Dancing with the Stars, I wanted to take a look to see how she did. While I am usually catching the shows on ABC's website after the results show has aired, I still haven't missed an episode.

Gilbert got her dancing shoes on in Little House on the Prairie: The Musical, and has done a great job on DWTS; but take a kid like Roshon Fegan, from Disney® Channel’s Shake It Up, and try to figure out why he has been in two dancing duels while Gilbert has gotten saved. The fans have to be making up a huge part of the difference between Gilbert's scores and her final standings.

I have to say, the judges didn't do right by her and partner, Maksim Chmerkovskiy, or by Team Paso this week. If anything, I felt Gilbert's last two dances have been much more fluid and in-sync than her others. That said, Fegan has been a more consistent performer. The judges don't seem to like his hip-hop style, though. Also, many of his fans probably don't meet the required age to vote in DWTS.

You could tell by Gilbert's reaction to being told they were safe this week, that it was a total shock. Even Maks seemed to think they were going to the duel. He truly lucked out by being paired with a TV icon who has tons of "bonnetheads" out there rooting for her.

I'm afraid it's going to be a tough week coming up for Team Gilbert now that there are only six couples left and four of them are consistently receiving good marks. I hope the type of dance they will perform on Monday is one geared to take advantage of her strengths.



No comments:

Post a Comment