Wednesday, May 30, 2012

WSJ Wednesdays: Getting Outdoors is Good for You



In the Saturday/Sunday, May 26 -27, 2012 edition of The Wall Street Journal, I came upon this article by Jonah Lehrer titled, "Mom Was Right: Go Outside." While many discussions about getting outside talk about the physical benefits, Lehrer's article tackles the mental benefits of unplugging from our technology driven world and spending time with nature. It spoke of studies performed by various groups that reflect the difference in performance on creativity tests, moods, short-term memory, and the behavior of children with attention-deficit-disorder.

I know I feel better when I step away from the computer and spend time in the garden. I feel refreshed and able to tackle my indoor tasks with renewed vigor. I'm trying to walk around the neighborhood a few times a week. My schedule has been crazy, so I haven't done it as often as I would like, but the kids will be out of school soon, so I need to get cranking on that.

How much time to you think you spend outdoors each week? What are some of the obstacles that prevent you from spending more time outdoors?




No comments:

Post a Comment