Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Pre-made Marinades or Homemade?



This Sunday was Mother's Day and my in-laws' 56th wedding anniversary, so I decided to invite them over for supper. Since unlike most days lately, the sun was shining, I decide to haul out the grill for steak, ribs and chicken. The ribs came from Schwan’s™ so they were fully cooked and pre-seasoned. They also included a package of barbecue sauce. They were delicious.

When I worked outside the house, I would buy those bottled 30-minute marinades. Now, it just seems like cheating. I never measure when I make my own marinades and I no longer follow a recipe. I simply add ingredients I feel work best for the meat I am cooking and go from there. A few times, this hasn't given me the flavor I was looking for, but it works for the most part. The following two marinades are what I've come up with on my own. If they are similar to something you've seen somewhere else, it's not intentional. I haven't gone scouring the Internet to see if what I toss together for my family is like someone else's mix.

Steak: olive oil, red wine, dry mustard, bay leaves, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.

If I had to guess at the measurements, here is what I would say:
  • 1/2 cup red wine
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon of dry mustard
  • 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
Toss everything together in a glass bowl, add steak (4- 6 oz.) , cover, and marinate at least 4 hours.

Chicken: lemon juice, fat-free Italian dressing, olive oil, oregano, marjoram, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.

Estimated measurements:
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup fat-free Italian dressing
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon of oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon of marjoram
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Toss everything together in a glass bowl, add chicken (3 - 4 skinless breasts), cover, and marinate at least 4 hours.

Do you use those pre-made marinades? Do you have a favorite meat you like to marinade?

No comments:

Post a Comment