Monday, January 14, 2019

Mailbox Monday - Jan 14



Mailbox Monday is a meme started by Marcia of To Be Continued. Mailbox Monday is the gathering place for readers to share the books that came in their mailbox during the last week. It now has a permanent home at the Mailbox Monday blog.

It's a cold winter Monday again, but at least there is no snow. I'm okay if we go the rest of the winter without any of the white stuff. It's horrible the news out the Midwest with the snow storm they endured. The mid-Atlantic is next in its path.

I'm going to ask all of you for prayer for the family of one of our longtime neighbors and friends. She died suddenly and unexpectedly this week. It's a dreadful tragedy and it's made for a tough time around here. She was the sweetest woman you could ever meet. When my girls were born, she brought down a meal for my family so I didn't need to cook. She always thought of everyone. A great example of being a good and faithful servant.

Though I haven't felt much like reading, I did polish off one book and then started this next one.


My physical mailbox was empty, but I downloaded updated versions of two books on my Kindle that I haven't read yet.



Brett used to be a client of mine when I worked in online book promotion. 

Speaking of my Kindle, the old second generation has a battery that is on its way out. I had to copy all my books to my PC in case it totally conks out. I'm trying to grab a cheap replacement for it on eBay. I use it to read my PDF titles I receive from authors for review. Other than that, I read on my Kindle Fire. 

What was in your mailbox this week? Anything special you would like to share?

11 comments:

  1. Batteries are the problem with eReaders. I think Amazon is having a trade in sale for their Kindles right now. I hope you get your reading mojo back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I didn't know that, BermudaOnion. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I am sorry about the loss of your friend.

    Thanks for sharing your books. I enjoyed Children of the Fog.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laurel. We've known each other a long time, so it's a real tough one.

      Glad to hear you enjoyed Children of the Fog. Enjoy your week.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry for your loss.
    I love the cover of The Perilous Adventures of the Cowboy King.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol. Jerome is a favorite author of mine. This is definitely one of his more memorable covers.

      Delete
  4. Hi Cheryl,

    I am so sorry for your loss, especially so suddenly as so soon into the new year! I have a couple of anniversaries coming up for friends and family I have lost in recent years, so I know how sad you must be feeling right now.

    I have a couple of Kindles which I am trying desperately to keep alive for a little longer, but who knows how long I shall be successful for - At least the real deal printed book doesn't keep needing to be charged up and keep threatening to wipe all the words off its pages!!

    I can see why you might have decided to promote the work of Brett Battles, as I really like the sound of some of his work, including the Logan Harper series.

    I am in two minds about 'Children Of The Fog' and just can't decide whether I would enjoy it or not, so I am off to do a little more review research before maybe adding it to my own list.

    Thanks for sharing and enjoy a peaceful week :)

    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yvonne. I'm sorry to hear of your losses as well. I pray God will comfort you during these anniversaries.

      Like you, I am hoping to get just a little more mileage off this Kindle.

      Interesting notes about Children of the Fog. I remember getting it, but honestly couldn't tell you what it's about. I really need to clean up my devices of old books.

      Delete
  5. I am sorry about your friend and neighbor.

    I love the cover of CHILDREN OF THE FOG.

    Thanks for sharing, and have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry and will pray for your friend's family and neighbor friends.
    I like the cover of Children of the Fog too.
    I love my Kindle Gen 2 because it reads to me. My battery dies after 5 minutes, but I found a fix -- I keep it plugged into a portable battery pack.
    Stay warm and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending prayers to your neighbour's family. I hope you managed to get a replacement battery it would be dreadful to lose your books.

    ReplyDelete