Monday, June 18, 2012

Diary of a Book Loving Busy Mom




June 15, 2012

I can’t believe I’m doing this. I am leaving behind the job I’ve had for the past five years and stepping into the unknown. I’m scared out of my mind. The job market is horrible.

What if I can’t find anything?

The hubby has been harping on me for months to find a less time-consuming job. I figured with us leaving on vacation at the end of the month, now is the best time to make a break. My job had always hampered my ability to seriously pursue alternatives. But, it’s comfortable. I know my job left and right, backwards and forwards. Now, I’ll be starting all over again in the most competitive job market since I was legally old enough to work.

I’m reading résumé books. I need to stand out. I’ve had a few interviews in the past couple of months, but nothing that’s turned into an offer. When I used to sift through résumés to hire for an open position in my office, you could always tells when it was someone older looking for a job. The old format of the résumé that was cutting edge decades ago was never updated. I don’t want that to be me. And yet, I feel like that is me. I’m over 40 and have been self-employed for the past eight years. Who the heck is going to hire me?

Hubby says not to worry about it. I underestimate my abilities. Maybe he’s right, but still, I don’t know how to search for a job in this market where college graduates struggle to find employment.

I want to go back to the 80s, where jobs were plentiful, and if you didn’t like what you were doing you applied at five new places and ended up with three job offers.

Sigh! Time to crack another book on finding a job in this new market. 

No comments:

Post a Comment