Thursday, June 28, 2012

Competing with the Big Guys



When it comes to blogging, there are days I still feel like a baby. While I don't suffer from blog envy, I still wish there was an easier way to attract sponsors. I remember my friend, Ellen, over at Confessions of an Overworked Mom getting frustrated over being a little fish in a big pond. Now, she's the whale in a vast ocean. She knew what she wanted her blog to focus on, made some tweaks here and there, and is now a social media expert whose opinions are sought after and respected. She also proves the term "Mommy blogger" isn't just for those with kids in diapers. Both her children are teenagers.

I've struggled to define this blog. Originally, I was thinking it was going to be another book blog, but I found myself wanting more and more to talk about other things. Then I started reviewing more products, so the original name didn't fit. I changed the title to Books, Products and More! I was so sure I would stick with that, I created social media accounts at FacebookTwitter and Pinterest. I've joined different sites like BlogFrog. Then the doubts came in again and I wondered if having "mom" in the title would make more sense. Most of my life centers around being a wife and mother.

I seem to be stuck at a certain number of followers everywhere I go. Even when I spend time retweeting other posts and commenting at other blogs, the uptick is miniscule. Offering giveaways hasn't helped much because I can't afford to offer the types of giveaways the bigger bloggers do. I've reached out to potential sponsors, but they aren't great about responding.

I would appreciate some advice. What have you done to make your blog more attractive to readers and sponsors? What do you look for in a blog? Do too many ads make you unsubscribe? If you're a regular reader here, what do you like most?

Thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment