Monday, March 12, 2012

You've Got Mail Mondays


Okay, it's time to get down to brass tacks. Last week on the blog was horrible. I was late with everything I wanted to do. I didn't have a Free for All Friday. Movie Review Month has been delayed by my lack of time to watch anything. Basically, it has put me in a nasty mood. Cranky writers are not fun to be around.

So, here's the scoop. I am doing my best to get you the things you said you were interested in seeing: more reviews, more giveaways, recipes, time savings tips, etc. Unfortunately, I'm not independently wealthy, so when I run a giveaway it comes out of my pocket. I don't always have sponsors sending me products to review. Rubbermaid is sending me the Hidden Recycler to review during April, so I know that is coming up.
I plan on going to see The Hunger Games with the Lil Diva (10), so I'll be reviewing that. I also have a couple of product samples I'll be talking about. I am actively seeking sponsors for Spring Cleaning Month. In the efforts to move toward self-sufficiency, we are looking to try out more eco-friendly products and review them.

Now that's over, let's talk about my mailbox. I am drowning in books, but I love them. The main reason I don't review more books here is that I save that for my book blog, The Book Connection. Feel free to let me know if you would like to see more here. I'm figuring you're looking for more products reviews instead.

The ghostwriting project I am working on is an historical book, so I've had to perform research. I love the Internet, but it only brings you so far. I ordered two books from Amazon to help me along: Remembering Colorado Springs  by Sharon Swint and Images of America: Pikes Peak-Adventurers, Communities, and Lifestyles. These are filled with images and will be the perfect complement to Pikes Peak Backcountry: The Historic Saga of the Peak's West Slope by Celinda Reynolds Kaelin. I'm a bit bummed that I just received Swint's book and a page already fell out of it.

Toward the tail end of last week I received Children's Picturebooks: The Art of Visual Storytelling by Martin Salisbury and Morag Styles. This book, "looks at every aspect of picture bookmaking--from education and training to the interplay of words and images on a page, from the use of old and new printing methods to the editorial process and demands of the publishing industry in the twenty-first century." It includes case studies and interviews with artists, publishers and scholars. Since this is my target market, I like to learn all about it that I can.

The latest Land's End Kids catalog arrived. For the first time, I can say I didn't feel the need to rush out and buy something, but I think that has more to do with spending over $200 on clothes and shoes for the girls two weekends ago, than what is in the catalog. Through 11:59 PM Central time they are offering FREE SHIPPING - no minimum order, so it's actually a great time to buy.

That's it for now. I hope you enjoyed this latest edition of You've Got Mail Mondays.

No comments:

Post a Comment