Thursday, March 8, 2012

TV Show Review: Downton Abbey, Season 1



Gee, it's eight days into March and I am posting my first TV show review. I promise it isn't because I'm lazy. The deadlines are looming and the personal life is crazier than normal right now. My first review isn't even of a movie, though the family did see Journey 2: The Mysterious Island, and I hope they will share their thoughts on it with me--at least more than saying it was fabulous.


I rarely hook onto the popular shows or see an overhyped movie. I haven't read a Harry Potter or Twilight book. I haven't seen more than 10 minutes out of any of the movies. I guess I'm not much of a follower.

One evening, however, I was looking for something to watch on Netflix, and Downton Abbey came up as a recommendation. I had heard how wonderful this show is, so I decided to try it out.

Downton Abbey revolves around the lives of the Crawley family and their servants. In the first episode, Robert Crawley, Lord of Grantham (Hugh Bonneville), receives word the heir to the estate is considered lost after the sinking of the Titanic. A distant cousin, Matthew Crawley (Dan Stevens), a self-made man, is next in line. Though not ready to live the Crawley ways, Matthew and his mother move onto the estate.

Downstairs in the servants' quarters, ambitious and angry Thomas (Rob James-Collier) and the conniving, malicious lady's maid, O'Brien (Siobhan Finneran), are kept in tow by the housekeeper, Mrs. Hughes (Phyllis Logan), and the butler, Mr. Carson (Jim Carter). With the return of John Bates (Brendan Coyle), an ex-solider who served with Lord Grantham in the Boer War, the many other servants, and a mix of meddling relatives, living at Downton Abbey is never boring.

I have to admit, it took me to two episodes to be fully captivated by Downton Abbey, but now I can't wait for Season 3. The storytelling from creator Julian Fellowes is phenomenal. While the setting is stunning, it's truly the lives of these well-portrayed characters that captures you. Lord Gratham is compassionate and has a strong sense of right and wrong. His wife, Cora, an American heiress, isn't thrilled about watching the family fortune being tossed away; especially since a lot of the money was hers. Their three daughters have such different personalities, there is bound to be some rivalry. Lady Edith resents all the attention paid to her older sister, Lady Mary. It causes her to do some truly awful things. Mary, not to be bested, makes sure payback is on the menu. Lady Sybil, the youngest daughter, is the rebel. She's fiercely political, and hates injustice of any kind. She yearns for a life outside of Downton Abbey.

What I truly enjoy the most about Downton Abbey, is that although a lot of nasty stuff takes place on the estate, the viewer doesn't get an eyeful or earful of vulgarity or obscenity. Yes, there are bedroom scenes, but they are handled modestly. There's a certain elegance to the show despite the evil elements that go on upstairs and in the servants' quarters. I also like that the servants' lives are as much a focus of the show as the lives of the Crawleys.

You can order Season 1 of Downton Abbey at Amazon or directly from PBS. Amazon also offers it as an instant video.

No comments:

Post a Comment