Wednesday, March 28, 2012

WSJ Wednesdays - Leftovers


All my thoughts about self-sufficiency and reducing waste drew me to this article about leftovers in the Wednesday, March 21, 2012 edition of The Wall Street Journal. According to journalist, Sarah Nassauer, high food prices cause guilt over throwing food away, but making the leftovers disappear can be a challenge.

Based upon researchers' estimates, the average American family of four spends $500 to $2000 on food they never eat. Wow! That surprised me; though it shouldn't when I consider some of the left over food I've tossed.

Produce was always a big money waster for us. Even though I toss old fruits and vegetables in the compost bin, I still feel it's a waste of money to buy produce and never eat it. I've tried freezing berries, but my husband tends not to like the texture once they are defrosted. Mentioned in the article is Rubbermaid’s® Produce Saver--which we use at home. It's said to keep, "fruits and vegetables fresh and crisp for up to 33% longer." I would definitely recommend it.



Nassauer's article states that Brian Wansink, professor of marketing at Cornell University's Charles H. Dyson School of Applied Economics and Management claims when you shop without a well-researched grocery list, shoppers overbuy. I can't shop without my list, but I have to admit, I often buy things not on the list. Shoppers buying in bulk can also create waste. According to a 2009 report from the Waste & Resources Action Programme in the U.K., just over half of avoidable food and drink waste happens as a result of products not being used in time. The article states that in America, confusion over "sell-by" dates and concern over food-borne illness also leads to waste.

What I like about this article is that it provides tips on how to deal with leftovers and also explains what food dates mean.

The other thing that brought this topic to mind is the Nickleback song, "When We Stand Together." It truly puts our waste in perspective:

"When we could feed a starving world,
With what we throw away.
But all we serve are empty words,
That always taste the same."

I'm usually the leftover eater at our house; and thankfully, I love cooking, so if we eat out three times a month, that's a lot for us.

How do you handle leftovers? Do you have any tips to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment