Thursday, June 11, 2020

An Imperfect Christian Mom's COVID-19 Diary #10

 



Life burbles along right now somewhere between normal and absolutely ridiculous. Breakneck speeds at work now that the delayed spring market has arrived. Still don't feel like going to the grocery store and wearing a mask everywhere doesn't make normal seem possible. Hearing plans for schools in the fall makes me glad my girls aren't little anymore. I'm not sure how they would cope with the changes. 

Historical monuments defaced or destroyed, calls to de-fund police, a band changing its name, and calls to remove TV shows and cartoons with police characters, make me wonder what world we are living in. 

No one can defend brutality.

No one can defend racism.

We can, however, continue to learn from the wrongs of the past and to seek justice in a peaceful way. We can respect each other no matter our differences. We can advocate for change without violence. 

What would we do if politicians stopped hurling insults?

What would we do if everyone accepted each other for who they are instead of trying to change them into what others thought they should be? 

How different would our world be if we could seek what brings us together instead of focusing on what pulls us apart? 

Though I am no longer Catholic, the Prayer of St. Francis always inspires me. I pray it inspires me to be a better person each day.

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master,
Grant that I may not so much seek
To be consoled as to console;
To be understood, as to understand;
To be loved, as to love.

For it is in giving that we receive;
It is in pardoning, that we are pardoned;
It is in dying that we are born to eternal life.



“I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”
—John 16:33

No comments:

Post a Comment