Monday, August 26, 2013

You've Got Mail Monday



I didn't post one of these last week for two reasons: a) it was vacation Bible school week and I simply didn't have a lot of free time, and b) nothing much worth talking about arrived. I think I've got the post-Lil' Diva birthday bash blues. Rest assured, by the end of this week I'll be glad it's all over. We're having her friends sleep over Friday night. I'm already wondering if Calgon can take me away.

Here are the vendors who loved me enough last week to send catalogs my way: Mary Kay, Land's End, Grandin Road, and Bluestone Perennials. I really want to plant some bulbs this year, but I am so fickle that I planted some bulbs the second year we were here and then pulled them out a few years later. I also have a mostly shady area that we mulched this year that I would like to add plants to for next year.    

Planning to improve my overall health, I subscribed to Health magazine. I haven't read a single issue yet, but the article in the September 2013 issue featured on the cover that says, "Fight Flab and Win" is right up my alley. I could use some lean legs, a flat belly (I honestly don't remember what that looks like anymore), and a firm butt.

My recent issue of Homecoming Magazine also arrived. This is the Gaither magazine my in-laws purchased for me. The women of Homecoming are on the front cover. There's and interview with first lady Laura Bush and one with Amy Grant, who is one of my favorite artists. I have also somehow ended up with ESPN magazine. No one admits buying it for me and I know I didn't order it. The first issue that arrived was all about fitness and had several mostly naked bodies in it. This new issue covers college football. I don't watch football unless the New England Patriots are in the Super Bowl. I don't really understand the sport or its rules. I would much rather watch baseball or hockey.

The most fun gift that the mail carrier delivered to our doorstep is a new book I hope will help with my garden--A Homeowner's Guide to Landscaping with Fruit by Lee Reich. It includes numerous ideas to make "your yard an edible paradise."  This book features landscape design basics; things to consider such as climate, soil, and sun; selecting plants, pollination, pest control, and soil care; landscaping plans, and a guide  to fruiting landscape plants. I had no idea there was such a thing as a raisin tree! I'm eager to dive into this book as I try to add more fruits to my garden.

That's it for this week's You've Got Mail Monday. Hope you all have a great week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment