Monday, August 5, 2013

First Chapter Review: Designed for Relationship by T.J. MacLeslie



Designed for Relationship is a Christian living/spiritual relationship book from T.J. MacLeslie. I received a copy of this book from the author's publicist.


BLURB: Mankind has always struggled with the big questions: Why are we here? What is life all about? The search for answers has led in many directions, not all of them helpful. In this age, we are inundated with information, but this flood of knowledge has not necessarily produced wisdom. We find answers to the really important questions as elusive as ever.

It really is all about relationship! This is the open secret, hidden in plain sight all along.

COVER: This is a beautiful cover. It's peaceful and relaxing. The scenery is lovely. I have to admit that when I first glanced at it I thought it was more suited toward a fantasy novel than a non-fiction offering, but it does flow in nicely with the Christian journey mentioned within these pages.

FIRST CHAPTER: This chapter opens with a powerful retelling of the prodigal son. Then the author goes on to explain about the Trinity and how God wants us in relationship with Him.

KEEP READING: Definitely. My synopsis of the first chapter is very simplistic, because there is so much to this chapter, and I don't want to give too much away. This is one of the most powerful retellings of the parable of the prodigal son I have ever read, and I believe the main reason is something the author mentions during this first chapter: too often we focus on the story of the younger son who took his riches and then ran off, instead of seeing this story from the point of view of all three people. By seeing this parable from a different perspective, it becomes an even more powerful story, because as the author indicates, each son became a prodigal in his own way.

In Designed for Relationship, author T.J. MacLeslie's discussion on the Trinity gave me pause. He goes back to Genesis to remind the reader that God exists as a "Them as much as a Him." In the creation story from Genesis 1:26 it says, "Then God said, 'Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness;'..." I In all the years I have read and reread the Creation story, I missed God's reference to the Godhead here. And now I wonder how much else I might have missed.

As the chapter moves along, the author begins his discussion on God wanting to be in a relationship with us. As the Godhead, They created us to be relational beings in Their likeness. The ending of this chapter includes discussion questions for reflection.

I was so moved by the first chapter of this book, I can't wait to continue reading.

Paperback: 182 pages
Publisher: Parvaim Press (May 14, 2013)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0989016609
ISBN-13: 978-0989016605


I received a copy of this book from the author's publicist. This author is currently on tour with Pump Up Your Book. I have been paid a fee to promote this book as part of the tour. No portion of this fee included a review of any kind. This review contains my honest opinions, which I have not been compensated for in any way.


No comments:

Post a Comment