Wednesday, April 29, 2020

An Imperfect Christian Mom's COVID-19 Diary #6

 




Yesterday, we drove in a parade in support of one of our neighbors who has Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. This is her second battle with the disease, and we know she is in for a tough fight. Most of the neighbors gathered on the street, but since we were are still isolating ourselves we felt it best to drive in our car. What a wonderful outpouring of support for this woman. She is so loved by our community. I hope all the well-wishers lifted her spirits as she travels to Boston to start an aggressive treatment plan for the next month. 

Our lives are returning to some semblance of normal--the new normal anyway. Governor Baker extended the closure of non-essential businesses yesterday from May 4 until May 18. Not unexpected, but another reminder that the world as we know it has been changed by a foe that has already taken too many lives.

The Baker Administration has also put together a group responsible for formulating a plan to get the state economy going again. I am on the fence about this. Part of me realizes that there are families suffering because breadwinners are out of work and they need relief. There is also the tiny part of me who feels like the government's interference in private businesses is wrong and sets a dangerous precedent we might never come back from ever again. Those parts are overridden by having seen how devastating this virus can be. 

Now, one could argue: your father-in-law was old and had preexisting conditions. While that is true, those who cared for him always said he was one of their healthiest residents. I've also had friends who have had the virus. I've seen what this thing does. It's scary. 

We will get through this. We will, hopefully, learn from it. Hopefully, we will be better people after all this is over because this dreadful virus doesn't care what your social class is, what race you are, or how you identify yourself. It doesn't discriminate. We are all susceptible to it. 

God, please wipe out this horrible virus and heal our world. 


Heal me, Lord, and I will be healed;
save me and I will be saved,
for you are the one I praise.

~ Jeremiah 17:14

2 comments:

  1. Even those with no preexisting conditions and those who are young are dying. So everyone is at risk. While I don't like the heavyhandedness of closures, it is for the safety of everyone. When there is a vaccine, this will seem worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Serena. Praying they find a vaccine soon.

      Delete