Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Preserving Your Harvest



The most challenging part about gardening for me is preserving what we grow. We try to eat as much as we can within days of it being harvested, I'm the only one who eats tomatoes so we have way more than I can eat before they start to spoil. The hubby and the Lil' Princess aren't fond of tomato sauces, though I can get the hubby to eat tomato-based soups from time to time.

Canning is one method I've used to preserve my vegetables. One year, I made so many bread and butter pickles I had a few jars to donate to the church's annual bake sale. There are other methods which will help you enjoy your harvest for a long time after the growing season is over. This article shares links to 30 blogs that have tips for preserving summer fruits and vegetables. The one I am most excited about is the low-sugar options.

What have you done to preserve your harvest? Is there one method that has been more successful than others?


No comments:

Post a Comment