Thursday, January 20, 2011

What is That Book?



On a blog I subscribe to, an agent reviewed a popular book, which she didn't care for. Her comments and the conversation that flowed out of it got me to thinking. There's always one book you couldn't get through, no matter how many times you tried. People said it was great. They recommended it. But it wasn't your cup of tea at all. Maybe it wasn't the worst thing you ever read, but it certainly was as painful as a tooth extraction without Novocaine while you were trying to get through it.

For me, that book was The Witches of Eastwick by John Updike. I tried to read it three times without success. I didn't like the main characters at all. Maybe I just couldn't relate to them at that point in  my life. Twenty years later, I might consider trying it one more time to see if my opinion has changed.

What is that book for you? Is there one? Is there more than just one?

No comments:

Post a Comment