Saturday, January 27, 2018

Project De-Clutter Begins

Most of us have it. You know what it looks like. Somewhere in the house there is a closet or a cabinet or a drawer that is filled with all the stuff you don't feel like dealing with or think you might use one day. For some us, many of the closets, cabinets and drawers in the house are filled with things like that. For us, it's even our basement.

This year Project De-Clutter is my focus. While it is not on this year's goals list, it should be. By next quarter I'll add it. We are moving my mother-in-law in with us, so things need to get donated or tossed out. I'm in the process of moving my office downstairs. Maybe I had a premonition that this was going to happen when I began packing up my books last year and labeling all the boxes by genre.

Just like any big project, Project De-Clutter will be broken down into many steps. Today, the Lil' Diva and I started throwing trash and broken toys away in the bonus room above the garage. Then later on, I figured I needed to whack back my cooking magazine collection.


In that pile on the bottom left is years worth of various cooking magazines. I can count on one hand the number of times I've opened one of them for a recipe. Tonight, I went through every one and pulled out the few recipes I might actually make, so that I can scan them onto my PC later. Then I recycled the rest of each magazine. Here's what I ended up with...


Room for actual cookbooks. Wow! How did that happen.

This cabinet is still a work in progress. I'll go through all the cookbooks to see if there are any I can donate. Most of them are in a set, so probably not. After that, I'll go through the rest of the items in the cabinet and see if I can't trim it back some more. 

Next week's goal for the bonus room is to get most of the floor picked up. Not sure if I can do it with my work schedule, but I'll give it a shot. 

Are you tackling any large home projects right now? How are they going? 

1 comment:

  1. I think our decluttering will be in spring when we have warmer weather and can sell some things at a yard sale.

    ReplyDelete