Monday, July 30, 2012

You've Got Mail Monday



I originally thought I would get this done early since the girls were going to vacation Bible school this week, but I decided to go grocery shopping instead of trying to deal with it after they got out. Grocery shopping is my least favorite chore, so I try to get it out of the way early in the week.

Last week was another slow mail week. It looks like Ernie the mailman is back from vacation, because our mail time is back to normal. The majority of what he brought me last week went right into the recycle bin. What I was excited to see, however, were two great books I am reviewing at The Book Connection.

The first is The IRA on Film and Television by Mark Connelly. This is the description:

The Irish Republican Army (IRA) has for decades pursued the goal of unifying its homeland into a single sovereign nation, ending British rule in Northern Ireland. Over the years, the IRA has been dramatized in motion pictures directed by John Ford (The Informer), Carol Reed (Odd Man Out), David Lean (Ryan’s Daughter), Neil Jordan (Michael Collins), and many others. International film stars as Liam Neeson, Brad Pitt, James Mason, Robert Mitchum, James Cagney, Richard Gere, and Anthony Hopkins have portrayed IRA members as heroic patriots, psychotic terrorists and tormented rebels.
 
This illustrated history analyzes celluloid depictions of the IRA from the 1916 Easter Rising to the peace process of the 1990s. Topics include America’s role in creating both the IRA and its cinematic image, the organization’s brief association with the Nazis, and critical reception of IRA films in Ireland, Britain and the United States.

I'm always fascinated by how Hollywood brings history to life on the big or small screen, so I think I'll like this one.

The other book is from one of my favorite legal thriller authors, Pamela Samuels Young. Here's the blurb from Attorney-Client Privilege:

A brutal murder, missing documents and an unscrupulous opposing counsel lead attorney Vernetta Henderson on a quest for justice—and ultimately—revenge. The hotshot L.A. lawyer takes on a corporation with a long history of discriminating against women. While Vernetta simply wants justice for her clients, the corporation’s hired gun wants to win . . . and she doesn’t care how. On the home front, Vernetta’s infamous sidekick Special has finally found true love. But is the price more than she’s willing to pay?

This is another of Young's books featuring attorney Vernetta Henderson. I've also read Murder on the Down Low, which is excellent. I'm excited to read the latest Vernetta Henderson story.

Who are some of your favorite authors? How do you feel about grocery shopping--love it or hate?

No comments:

Post a Comment