Wednesday, July 18, 2012

WSJ Wednesdays - Middle-Aged Job Seekers Finding It Tough Out There


When I decided that I would begin looking for work, I had no idea how hard it would be. That's why this front page article from the Saturday/Sunday June 23 - 24, 2012 edition of The Wall Street Journal caught my eye.

"For Middle-Aged Job Seekers, A Long Road Back," by Ben Casselman, discusses the obstacles middle-aged Americans are facing in this tight job market. As Casselman points out, much of the focus has been on the jobless rate among young people. For those of us attempting to support our families or those stay-at-home parents looking to re-enter the workforce, the picture isn't very bright. According to the article, 3.5 million Americans between the ages of 45 and 64 were unemployed as of May, and 39% of those have been unemployed for a year or more. This rate is higher than among young workers.

Instead of building wealth, middle-aged workers are struggling to find full-time employment. Some have stopped looking. I know that I need to find an alternative to what I was doing. I know I have valuable skills to offer, but even when I secure an interview, I don't get the call backs. That seems to fall in line with what is happening around the country. Cassleman's article states a 59-year-old Bridgeport, Connecticut resident spent a year earning his certification as a computer technician, but that hasn't helped him secure employment. His unemployment benefits ran out last year. He has been able to secure some part-time or seasonal work, but nothing more substantial.

The article also touches upon the typical frustrating moments of job searching--unreturned phone calls, lost applications, and interviews that lead to nowhere (tell me about that one). It also talks about reasons middle-aged people struggle to find work: reluctance to change industries and larger financial commitments. They also tend to work in industries in decline and are less able to move to find work.

I'm spending today and tomorrow looking into local opportunities, but not sure of what success I'll have. I'm willing to switch industries, but hope to put the skills I already have to work.

Are you looking for work right now? Is the job market tough where you are? If you're unemployed, how long has it been? Also, what do you think it will take to get this economy going again?


No comments:

Post a Comment