Thursday, March 21, 2013

Why I Decided to Go Back To Washing my Lights In Warm Water



I started washing in only cold water a few years ago. Talk of cost savings influenced my decision. Recently, however, I decided to go back to washing my lights/whites in warm water.

Why?

The cost savings wasn't substantial enough to justify the additional chemicals I had to use to get my family's clothes clean. I've tried detergents meant specifically for washing in cold water, but they didn't cut it. Maybe my family is just a bunch of messy Bessys. I've tried different stain removers, but in cold water they weren't as effective as they are in warm.

I went ahead and read this article about washing in hot versus cold. The only time I wash in hot is when washing sheets, but it's rare I do that. When we had that lice scare I did it, but I feel warm water works fine most of the time. Here is what I learned from the article:


  • "...cold water weighs more so natural fabrics like cotton actually soak up more water, which will add to your drying time"
  • "When you are washing at 80-60 degrees Fahrenheit, soap works 70-90% less effectively within the same amount of time time as it would in warm water."

I also followed a link from the article to this website that allowed me to calculate the cost of washing my clothes. At our current rates, we were only saving around $3 a month by washing in cold. Those savings were eaten up by additional washings when clothes didn't come out clean and purchasing a variety of stain removers.

In addition, this website suggests washing your clothes in the right temperature will help them last longer. Here is what they had to say about temperatures:

"Choosing the Right Temperature
Selecting the right water temperature for your wash is important to keep clothes clean and bright without fading, stretching or damaging the fabric.

•Hot Water: Choose “hot” water for the initial wash cycle on white cotton fabrics such as underwear, socks and sheets. Hot water (120 to 140 F) will kill the bacteria and keep whites bright.
•Warm Water: Pick “warm” water for synthetic, wrinkle-free and permanent press fabrics to prevent them from fading and damaging the material. Warm water (85 to 105 F) will keep colors bright while protecting the fabric.
•Cold Water: Use “cold” water for dark colors and delicate fabrics, as well as for the final rinse cycle on all fabrics. Cold water (65 to 75 F) will help prolong the life of delicates."

This won't work for everyone, but I felt it was the right decision for our family.




No comments:

Post a Comment