Monday, May 12, 2014

First Chapter Review: Man's Rejection of God: Who's Responsible? by RL Keller



Richard Louis Keller was born in Newark, NJ in 1955 and grew up in Middletown Township (NJ). He graduated from Montclair State College in 1978 with a degree in Broadcasting. Rich gave his life to Christ in 1979. Since his conversion he has spent time ministering for the Lord in various capacities. God gave Rich the gift of communication. He uses that gift by writing a daily devotional blog and has had two other books published.

Visit Rich online at www.breadoflifemin.net and his blog at www.minidevos.blogspot.com.

Keller is on tour with Pump Up Your Book with his spiritual book, Man's Rejection of God: Who's Responsible? 


BLURB:  Indian nationalist leader Mahatma Gandhi has been quoted as saying “I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” This is a sad indictment of the Christian community as a whole. Is it true? Are believers in Christ the reason people keep their distance from Judeo-Christian beliefs and the God we embrace? I feel there’s no question that we’re partially to blame. In this book I touch on a wide variety of topics, but in the end call out Christians to immerse themselves in a time of reassessment as we all strive to be more genuine and consistent in our faith.

COVER: As opposed to the cover for Keller's other book, There Are No McDonald's in Heaven: Waiting on God, which I feel is a good match, I have to admit I'm not particularly fond of this one. For a serious book on an important topic, the light tone this cover portrays doesn't quite hit the mark for me.

FIRST CHAPTER: The first chapter of this thought-provoking title asks, "Is there a problem with the way Christians are portraying the gospel to the unsaved today? Are we driving people away?" It talks about how Christians interact with nonbelievers, in addition to discussing free will and how our approach to presenting the gospel can be very different than the way Christ did.

KEEP READING: From the first moment I heard about this book, I was intrigued. As Christians, we are charged by Christ to "go and make disciples of all nations" (Matt 28:19). But how can we do that if we use the wrong approach? Already a few chapters into Man's Rejection of God: Who's Responsible? by the time I write this, I like Keller's style. He opens chapter one with a story, followed by Gandhi's quote, then leads right into the question about Christians possibly driving people away. Some of the words can be tough to hear, especially if you feel like he's talking directly to you. On the flip side, he discusses the difficulty in emulating Christ, and how our conversion into a new person in Christ might be instantaneous but that our actual transformation takes time. So, you see a healthy blend of challenging moments and encouraging words. This book definitely is providing some food for thought for my Christian journey. I'm eager to continue.

Paperback: 200 pages (printed)/161 (digital)
Publisher: WestBow Press, a division of Thomas Nelson Publishing (March 2014)
Paperback ISBN-10: 1490821481
ISBN-13: 978-1490821481
Hardcover ISBN-10: 149082149X
ISBN-13: 978-1490821498
Kindle: 9781490821474/ASIN: B00I5076TU


I have been paid a fee to promote this book through a virtual book tour with Pump Up Your Book. That fee, however, did not include any type of review. This review contains my honest opinions, which I have not been compensated for in any way.



2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your point about the front cover. I felt it showed two men arguing about who was to blame for the enigmatic issue. It's easier for me to see that, having picked the picture and know exactly what I meant by it. Your point is well taken. Perhaps a better picture should have been picked. It seemed right at the time and I still like it myself. Thanks for your kind comments and I trust you will find the rest of the book as well balanced as you feel the beginning chapters were. Have a super blessed day! RLKELLER - the author

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments, Rich. I think being an author is so tough, especially when you need to manage so much on your own. I look forward to reading the rest of your book. Many blessings.

    ReplyDelete