Thursday, December 6, 2012

Reviewing 2012



I'm a big fan of setting goals and writing to-do lists. It's the only way I can accomplish all I have to do. This time of year, I sit back and reflect on how I've done. I'm also starting to put together goals for 2013.

Personal Goals


  • Going Green - I wanted to make more of an effort this year to reduce our family's carbon foot print. My goal was to cut our trash down to two bags a week, in addition to changing cleaning products around the house. How did we do? Not a total failure. I donated more and recycled more than usual. I hit the two bag goal some weeks, but most of the time it was three bags. I switched from chemical disinfecting wipes, but the horrible smell was a deterrent. I ended up going back to my usual brand. I have, however, stopped using some of those disposable wipes for cleaning and instead use washable towels.
  • Participate in reading challenges - I decided to participate this year in four reading challenges at The Book Connection. I completed the 2012 EBOOK CHALLENGE, but will fall short on all the others. Because I was so busy this year, my reading time was greatly reduced. I usually catch up while we are in North Carolina, but since the family joined us for a good portion of the vacation, and because the hubby came down with pink eye and couldn't drive much going home, I didn't read the ten or so books I normally do. I've still managed to read 118 books between my two main blogs: The Book Connection and The Children's and Teens' Book Connection. This is around 50 less than in 2011 and around 55 less than in 2010. My hope is to catch up in 2013, so I can open my blogs up to new requests again.
  • Blog five days a week - Well, I wanted to, but with running so many blogs, it's just not possible to make sure I blog here or there every week day. I would actually like to expand the reach of my Christian book blog, but that will all depend on whether or not I find a job outside my home.
  • Eat healthier - Ha, ha, ha. I keep saying it. I know I need to do it. I just don't like it. I'm getting older, and eating a more balanced diet will be important to me staying healthy. I guess it's just too easy to snack too often when I'm home by myself. I still plan to work on this goal next year.
  • Exercise more - Here's another funny one. I hate exercise, but right now I can't stand to look at my body in a mirror. I'm only out of shape in the middle, and I'm not even considered overweight, but I am 20 pounds heavier than I used to be. I'm hoping Santa will bring me an exercise bike to get started.
Professional Goals

  • Seek representation - Being represented by an agent is one of my dreams. I love the small presses that I've dealt with so far, but I want to move forward in my career. I met with an agent this year at a writers conference, even though I knew she didn't represent Christian children's fiction. I still feel it's good experience to talk to an agent face-to-face. I couldn't afford to travel to a Christian writers conference, so I chose the local one I usually attend. I'm praying I'll be able to swing at least one Christian writers conference next year. In the meantime, I'll start sending out more email and snail mail queries in 2013.
  • Submit two manuscripts - I submitted one, which is now under contract with Guardian Angel Publishing. It will be my second book with them, but my third children's book when it is released. No date on that yet, but hopefully my new book, A Christmas Kindness, will be out soon.
  • Finish Amelia's Mission - I love this historical middle grade novel I've been working on, but research became an obstacle. There are fourteen rough chapters completed, but I didn't get any further. The good news is that I think I've finally performed the right type of research to bring the rest of the story to life. Maybe I'll be able to complete the first draft in 2013. 
  • Find a job - If this were 1987 or 1997, I would have three job offers by now. When I decided to stop working on book tours to concentrate on finding a job outside the home, I knew it would be tough. I've been home for nine years, and while I've kept up my skills, working for someone else is very different than working for another person. It's hard to give up a flexible schedule. I'm not sure what 2013 looks like in this area, but hopefully God will guide me in the right direction.

What were your goals for 2012? How did you do? 



No comments:

Post a Comment