Sunday, December 30, 2012

Goal Setting for 2013



It's that time of year again. We reflect upon how we managed our goals for the year that is coming to an end and compile a list of goals for the new year. I have to admit that 2012 was overwhelming for me. I committed myself to a plethora of projects, started new blogs, released a new book, submitted a manuscript--which got accepted by Guardian Angel Publishing--and began looking for a job. The girls both took on new activities, which kept us all running:  the Lil Princess had soccer and violin and the Lil Diva opted for cheerleading and chorus.

I've spent the past week applying online for work, but honestly, since Christmas day I've been a total goof off. I just need some rest. But January 2nd will be here before we know it. The regular schedule will kick into gear and I'll need to get focused.

I've always been a goal-oriented person. I don't think I could accomplish half of what I do if I weren't. Here are a few of the goals I'm setting for myself in 2013:


  • Write one picture book a month for 12 x 12. This is a program coordinated by Julie Hedlund. You can find out more at http://www.juliehedlund.com/info/. I'm in the midst of choosing which ideas I want to work on.
  •  Finish Amelia's Mission by March and begin editing in April. This is dependent upon my work schedule. If I get a job, I might not be able to reach the deadline. I'm still willing to try it. I figure, if I can get a chapter written a week, I should make it. 
  • Consider consolidating blogs. In 2012, I started two new blogs, but with my reading time reduced, I haven't had the time to grow them the way I want. If that doesn't change by the end of March, then I will probably focus on my three main blogs and let the other ones die off. Doing this would increase my writing time, so it's not a total loss.
  • This is more like a resolution than a goal, but I want to catch up on book reviews. I found I overloaded myself way too much in 2012, so 2013 needs to be focused on reading the books I'm already promised to and not taking on any new requests--no matter how wonderful the book sounds. This will be my hardest task. I hate passing up any book that sounds good. 
  • On a personal level, I want to exercise three mornings a week for 20 minutes. 
  • I also want to begin riding my bike a couple times a week once the weather warms up.

This is a good place to start. I'll review my goals again in March to see where I'm at and make necessary adjustments.

Do you set goals for yourself? If you do, are you willing to share any with us?

Wishing you a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment