Wednesday, November 28, 2012

WSJ Wednesday - Christmas Trees



This issue of WSJ Wednesday is going to be fun. In case you never noticed, I love Christmas. I haven't had a lot of time to blog about decorating, but my goal since we moved in is to have every room in the house decorated. I came close one year, but then I lost a couple of my trees.

In the Wednesday, November 7, 2012 edition of The Wall Street Journal, Shelly Banjo wrote an article titled, "Svelte for the Holidays." This article discusses the fad of slim Christmas trees. Retailers claim real and fake trees in leaner sizes are very popular this year. In response, some retailers are only carrying slim models or expanding their offering of slim trees. Christmas tree growers are cultivating slim versions of popular species.

One of the reasons slim trees are growing in popularity is that they complement sleek, modern decor. They also fit nicely in apartments. Banjo says that suburbanites buy in quantity, placing trees in every room of the the house. Now, that's what I'm talking about.

Family room tree - handmade ornaments

The article also mentions themes, which is something I do each year. We have trees with the following themes: angels, snowmen, collectibles, handmade ornaments, and snowflakes and icicles. The Lil Diva and the Lil Princess have their own trees: pink and purple respectively.



Each year, I try to do something a little bit different. I have tons of decorations. Some years I put out everything. Others, I leave some of the older items in the basement. This year, I'm switching around where I place the trees. The large one will remain in the family room. Though I prefer it in the formal living room that faces the street, so it can be visible from the window, the rest of the family likes it in the room we use most.


Usually the snowman tree sits on the hope chest in the bonus room, where it is visible from the street. We have a long driveway, so more lights in the windows make our house look more festive. The tree with the collectibles usually is placed on the balcony looking over the foyer. Even though the collectibles tree is relatively small (6 1/2 feet), it sticks out more than I would like, blocking the entrance to the Lil Princess' bedroom. That's part of why I'm switching them this year. The snowman tree is only 4 feet tall, so I can push it closer to the corner of the stairs.

What I've really wanted for a long time is a slim, pop-up tree like the ones featured at Brylane Home. Talk about easy. The main reason I haven't done it is because I'm not a huge fan of pre-lit trees. When they first came out, I thought they were great. Having owned several, I can tell you I'm not hot to purchase any more. I can rarely find the bulb that has burned out, so I ended up buying new lights to string on the tree anyway. In addition, when you have to remove the pre-strung lights it's a pain because they are clipped on. There's also the challenge of moving a pre-lit tree. They sometimes come in two pieces, so you if you need to take them apart to move them, the lights get moved around. I would much rather buy lights I can take on and off each year, even if it takes me extra time to put the tree up.

How many trees do you put up for Christmas? What's your favorite decoration?

No comments:

Post a Comment