Thursday, October 4, 2012

Test Kitchen Thursday: Slow Cooker Beef Stew



As soon as the weather cools down around here, I began thinking about what soups and stews I can make. The girls aren't thrilled with too much. They like Lemon and Egg Soup that my mother-in-law makes and Chicken Noodle, but other than that it is hit or miss.

I had bought two large pieces of beef to grill up over the summer, but my brother-in-law told me I bought the wrong kind of cut for grilling. He suggested I make a stew with them. While the hubby doesn't care for stew very often, he said he loved this recipe. I grew up with beef stew once a week, and I loved it too.

I started out with this recipe for Slow Cooker Beef Stew I found on Allrecipes.com®.


2 pounds of beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes.
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 onion chopped
1 1/2 cups beef broth
3 potatoes, diced
4 carrots, sliced
1 stalk celery, chopped

I added in some fresh oregano, fresh basil, and fresh green beans. All of these were from our garden.

1. Place meat in slow cooker. In a small bowl mix together the flour salt, and pepper; pour over the meat, and stir to coat meat with flour mixture. Stir in the garlic bay leaf, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, onion, beef broth, potatoes, carrots, and celery. Add in oregano, basil, and green beans.

2. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 10 to 12 hours, or on High setting for 4 to 6 hours.

I've made this stew twice. It came out fabulous each time. The second time, I actually forgot to add the potatoes until it was almost done. I just chopped them and cooked them partially in the microwave, and then added them in for the last hour. It still tasted great.


No comments:

Post a Comment