Monday, September 10, 2012

You've Got Mail Monday



Phew! It's almost the end of the day. This weekend was the Lil Diva's (11) sleepover party. The Hunger Games theme went over well. I'll post some pictures later this week.

Since I haven't let you take a peek in my mailbox for a couple of weeks, this might take a while. Feel free to take a potty break first.  LOL!

The girls were thrilled to find that all their clothes from Land's End and Old Navy fit well. In the picture below, you'll see the Lil Princess in her new clothes from Justice. This was her first soccer practice, and we had gone shopping earlier in the week, so you know she had to wear her new clothes.

 
 
Most of the catalogs I received over the past couple of weeks were the usual ones: Land's End, Oriental Trading, and flyers from Macy's. I bought a few of the girls' school clothes at JcPenney. They had some awesome Back-To-School deals. They sent me a flyer last week about their Liz Claiborne® collection for men and women. I thought these jeans were lovely.
 
 


I also thought some of the bold prints they had this year were stunning.

I've been down in the dumps lately, so I used some of our Discover rewards to buy books from Amazon. Not that I really need more books, but these are special ones I wanted in print. I wouldn't have bought so many if the rewards hadn't accumulated. Here's what arrived over the last couple of weeks:

Farmer Boy Goes West by Heather Williams. This book is considered a sequel to Laura Ingalls Wilder's Farmer Boy. I've been reading it with one of my online chums. We are enjoying the discussions.

Laura Ingalls Wilder and Rose Wilder Lane: Authorship, Place, Time, and Culture by John E. Miller. This was my most expensive purchase, but I am familiar with Miller's work and I have wanted this book for a long time.

Rose Wilder Lane: Her Story by Rose Wilder Lane and Roger Lea MacBride. This was my cheapest purchase. The book cost a penny and the shipping only $3.99. MacBride was Lane's heir, and is responsible for The First Four Years, the final book of the Little House series, being published after Lane's death. He also wrote his own series of children's books about Rose's childhood.

Little House, Long Shadow: Laura Ingalls Wilder's Impact on American Culture by Anita Clair Fellman. I don't know that I would have bought this book without using my rewards. It seems to be a controversial book, based upon the reviews I've read. That William Holtz, author of The Ghost in the Little House: A Life of Rose Wilder Lane endorsed it, didn't make me very confident I would enjoy it. Still, I rarely pass up a book about Wilder or her daughter. After my new LIW related purchases, however, I need a new bookshelf, as my shelves dedicated to my collection are full.

The Strangers on Montagu Street by Karen White. I have wanted this book for ages, but I refused to request it from her publicist when I knew I was so behind on reviews. I'm still thrilled when I open one of White's books and see my review blurb from The House on Tradd Street on the inside pages. I've read the previous two books in this series, so I wasn't going to miss this new book. Now, I just need to find time to read it.

Lucky Man by Michael J. Fox. I have wanted to read Fox's memoir since I learned it was coming out. He remains one of my favorite actors. I was so thrilled when I learned he was coming back to TV. I can't wait until his new sitcom comes out next year.

Lessons from the Mountain: What I Learned from Erin Walton by Mary McDonough. While The Waltons doesn't hold the same appeal for me as Little House on the Prairie or Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman, I rarely missed an episode when it originally aired. I didn't know that Alison Arngrim (Nellie Oleson, Little House on the Prairie) and McDonough were good friends in real life, until I read about a book signing they held together.

I almost picked up Rob Lowe's autobiography, Stories I Only Tell My Friends, but I decided I better curb my enthusiasm before I have to walk over piles of books just to reach my desk.

My final purchase was a DVD titled, Pa's Fiddle: The Music of America. This is a collection of songs Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote about in her Little House books. Overseen by Dale Cockrell, director of MTSU's Center for Popular Music, in conjunction with Peak Moore Enterprises, Inc, and Santa Fe Productions, then manufactured and distributed by Compass Records Group, it features Randy Travis, Rodney Atkins, Ronnie Milsap, Natalie Grant, and other country music greats. This will be an excellent addition to my LIW book collection.

As you can see, I've kept the United States Post Office in business the last couple of weeks. Hope you've enjoyed this peek into my mailbox. Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment