Sunday, September 23, 2018

Blessings from My Church Family



We knew heading to church this morning would bring with it sadness. In addition to our regular service, we were holding a potluck to celebrate the five years of dedication and direction our interim pastor and his wife have provided. A new pastor is starting next weekend.

It's been our privilege and honor to call Duncan and Gwen our friends. Duncan married us 18 years ago in the same church we still attend. There have been numerous events, meetings, and moments of fellowship along the way. In our times of struggle, Duncan and Gwen could always be counted on to lend an ear, pray, and guide.

As is typical of these selfless people, I arrived to service and was handed a gift--this book. Everyone in the church received a copy. We were encouraged to read it together, to read it with our spouses, and to read it as the church transitions to a new leader.

It was also a day for me to be humbled. At the end of service, Gwen went around the room to each person and shared thoughts about him/her. By the time she got to me, I already had tears in my eyes. Tears are swimming as I type now. Of all the things someone could say about me, I certainly didn't expect this to be how anyone could see me. Not me the impatient mom; not me the short-tempered wife; not me the negative self-talker. How could anyone see me as...the good Christian?

Have you ever looked up "how to be a good Christian?" When you Google it you get 1,550,000,000 results. If the few articles I read are accurate guidelines, I fail miserably.

But isn't that part of being a Christian? We seek to do God's will--we fail. We promise not to lose our temper again--we fail. We ask for God's help--we still fail. The Bible is filled with people who failed from time to time.  Aren't we reminded in Paul's Letter to the Romans "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23)?

I'm not perfect. I could never hope to be. My friend's words have encouraged me to try harder to be the Christian I want to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment