Thursday, May 3, 2018

Book Review: The Pirate Bride by Kathleen Y'Barbo

Filled with romance and adventure, The Pirate Bride by Kathleen Y'Barbo is an excellent addition to the Daughters of the Mayflower series.

Maribel Cordoba is just a girl when she joins her father to sail to the Caribbean. Their adventure is cut short when Captain Jean Beaumont takes possession of their ship, but a new adventure is awaiting Maribel just around the corner.

I have to admit, this is not what I expected based upon the write up. Yes, we end up with a bride, but it's many years in the making. I loved Maribel--who one reviewer has called a "swashbuckling Anne of Green Gables." I see the comparison, but I think Anne fell into trouble, while Maribel went looking for it. When Maribel and the privateer reconnect, the true adventure begins.

This is a strong addition to the Daughters of the Mayflower series. It's a fun, adventurous story. Loved all the characters, especially the secondary ones: the bonds they shared, the love of the privateer lifestyle, their strong faith. There was a great little surprise at the end too.

This is a total stand along novel, but I encourage readers to pick up The Mayflower Bride by Kimberley Woodhouse, which is the first book in this series, because of the family relations. I'm also one of those people who likes to read a series from the very beginning, so I often encourage that.

History, adventure, faith and romance make The Pirate Bride a perfect story.


Series: Daughters of the Mayflower (Book 2)
Paperback: 256 pages
Publisher: Barbour Books; Gld edition (April 1, 2018)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1683224973
ISBN-13: 978-1683224976

I received a copy of this book from the publisher. This review contains my honest opinions, which I have not been compensated for in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment