Friday, June 14, 2019

Book Review: Painting the Psalms by Cherie Burbach

A unique and engaging way to view the Book of Psalms awaits you in Painting the Psalms by Cherie Burbach.

In this beautiful and moving book, the author shares the beauty of the Psalms and how they have influenced her art. Each painting is accompanied by text explaining the inspiration behind the art and followed by Scripture and the materials used to create the painting.

There were two reasons I requested to review Painting the Psalms: I wanted to experience one of my favorite books of the Bible in a new way, and the painting on the cover reminded me of artwork from a local author that I admire.

The paintings are stunning. I could look at them for hours. Painting the Psalms is a great book to display or would make a wonderful coffee table book. It would be even better in hardcover.

There were moments I felt the narration was too personalized. Many passages spoke of the author's feelings or experiences, so in those moments I felt kept at a distance and not truly able to appreciate the beauty of the passages or feel the Scripture speaking to me. I did find, however, some explanations to be more generalized, like with "Her Home Was Peace and Kindness," where the author speaks of how we spend a lot of time on the concept of home and how, in the end, the only true home is a spiritual one. Those were moments that drew me in closer.

Regardless of that, I enjoyed Painting the Psalms from beginning to end. I'll definitely be reading through it again.


Paperback: 104 pages
Publisher: Independently published (March 18, 2019)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1090858671
ISBN-13: 978-1090858672

I received a copy of this book from the author. This review contains my honest opinions, which I have not been compensated for in any way.


No comments:

Post a Comment