Monday, May 7, 2018

Mailbox Monday - May 7



Mailbox Monday is a meme started by Marcia of To Be Continued. Mailbox Monday is the gathering place for readers to share the books that came in their mailbox during the last week. It now has a permanent home at the Mailbox Monday blog.

Warning: Mailbox Monday can lead to envy, toppling TBR piles, and humongous wish lists.

Welcome back to Monday. It is going to be a busy one, so I might not leave comments until later on tonight or tomorrow.

Last week was the library book sale. I was thrilled to donate 45 books to the cause, but I also knew I would go and support them with buying a few too. I'm very selective these days in what I bring home because we really are out of space. I've been cleaning for a few days trying to get the house ready for my mother-in-law to come live with us as soon as her room is ready; an exhausting task, but I'll be glad when she's here where I can watch out for her.

I'll share my book sale books next week--they are still sitting in a box in my truck--but here are a few things I borrowed from the library last week.


The mother of a bullied first grader, popular blogger Carrie Goldman's inspiring true story triggered an outpouring of support from online communities around the world. In Bullied, she gives us a guide to the crucial lessons and actionable guidance she's learned about how to stop bullying before it starts. It is a book born from Goldman's post about the ridicule her daughter suffered for bringing a Star Wars thermos to school--a story that went viral on Facebook and Twitter before exploding everywhere, from CNN.com and Yahoo.com to sites all around the world. Written in Goldman's warm, engaging style, Bullied is an important and very necessary read for parents, educators, self-professed "Girl Geeks," or anyone who has ever felt victimized by a bully, online or in person.


In 2014, Chessy Prout was a freshman at St. Paul’s school, a prestigious boarding school in New Hampshire when a senior boy sexually assaulted her as part of a ritualized game of conquest. Chessy bravely reported her assault to the police and testified against her attacker in court. Then, in the face of unfathomable backlash from her once trusted school community, she shed her anonymity to help other survivors find their voice.

This memoir is more than an account of a horrific event; it takes a magnifying glass to the institutions that turn a blind eye to such behavior and a society that blames victims rather than attackers, while offering real, powerful solutions to upending rape culture as we know it today.

Prepare to be inspired by this remarkable young woman and her story of survival, advocacy, and hope in the face of unspeakable trauma.


In this astonishing memoir, Paige tells a story that is both deeply personal and completely universal—one that will resonate deeply with the thousands of children and adults whose lives have been touched by bullying.

Paige Rawl has been HIV positive since birth…but growing up, she never felt like her illness defined her. It never prevented her from entering beauty pageants or playing soccer or making the honor role.

On an unremarkable day in middle school, while attempting to console a friend, Paige disclosed her HIV-positive status—and within hours the bullying began. She was called "PAIDS," first in whispers, then out in the open. Her soccer coach joked that she was an asset because opposing team members would be too afraid to touch her. Her guidance counselor told her to stop all the “drama,” and her principal said she couldn’t protect her. One night, desperate for escape, Paige swallowed fifteen sleeping pills—one for each year of her life to date. That could have been the end of her story. Instead, it was only the beginning.

The gripping first-person account of Paige’s life will pull in even the most reluctant readers of nonfiction, and her call to action to choose compassion over cruelty will stay with them long after they turn the last page.

That's it from me this week. What was in your mailbox?

12 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy your books, Cheryl.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't go to library sales for a while. Too many unread books on my shelves as it is. I donate to the cause though. Hope it's a smooth move for your MIL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly try to stay away, Mary, but it never works. I also volunteered again this year, so I had to buy something. :) Hope you have a great week.

      Delete
  3. Enjoy your books! They all sound very uplifting. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those all look like very important and powerful books. I hope you enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Laurel. I'm hoping the memoirs will help my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope they are powerful, bermudaonion. They sounded fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Library sales are nice to support. Oh these look like strong, good books. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On bargain days you get a bag of books for $2. I can handle that. Thanks for visiting, Martha.

      Delete