Friday, May 24, 2013

The Busy Mom's Landscaping Projects



People without green thumbs who take on landscaping projects must be insane. The above picture is what the front of our house looked liked before my crazy idea to change it. When we moved in, I had no knowledge of landscaping and gardens. I barely have more ability after thirteen years, but that doesn't keep me from trying.

My brilliant idea: remove these bushes and put in flowering plants. Not a bad plan, just not an easy one. Finding and downloading the garden plan off the Internet--easy. Ordering the plants online--also easy. Getting bushes out of the garden that have been there for thirteen years--not easy at all.

I had promised the two low ones to the church for the new flower bed they (I mean me and three other people) were putting in, and I decided to move that juniper (maybe) into the backyard to hide the generator we put in after we lost power for over a week in 2011 after a surprise October snowstorm. You know, the lovely storm that meant we had to vacate our home for the third time in the span of five months and where the power was out long enough for sewer water to back into our basement.

Anyway, I had to call the landscaper in to get that big bush out of there. My back said no way was I doing it. He was kind enough to set up the flower bed for me, so all I had to do was dig and put the new plants in. Keeping the plants alive for two weeks after they arrived until he showed up to remove the bush was a challenge.

I laid out all the plants--even took out a measuring tape to be sure it would be relatively even--and then put them in. Then the landscaper came to mulch all the beds.



We've made a few other improvements, too, lately. Hopefully I'll have more pictures soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment